The IES seeks to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES will build upon a century of excellence to create the premier lighting community dedicated to promoting the art and science of quality lighting to its members, allied professional organizations, and the public.
Established in 1906, the IES is the recognized technical and educational authority on illumination. For over one hundred years its objective has been to communicate information on all aspects of good lighting practice to its members, to the lighting community, and to consumers through a variety of programs, publications, and services. The strength of the IES is its diversified membership: engineers, architects, designers, educators, students, contractors, distributors, utility personnel, manufacturers, and scientists, all contributing to the mission of the Society: to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES is a forum for the exchange of ideas and information and a vehicle for its members’ professional development and recognition. Through its technical committees, with hundreds of qualified members from the lighting and user communities, the IES correlates research, investigations, and discussions to guide lighting experts and laypersons via research-and consensus based lighting recommendations.
The District of Columbia Section was initially chartered as the Washington and Baltimore Chapter in 1927. We currently encompass Northern Virginia (from Harrisonburg to Fredericksburg), Maryland (Columbia to Frederick), and the District of Columbia.
Section Officers 2019-2020
- President: Sarah Wujcik, MCLA, Inc.
- Vice President: Patrice Mulhern, SmithGroup
- Treasurer: Shayne Gardner, MCLA, Inc.
- Secretary: Doris Ho, SmithGroup
- Past President: Angelica Santana, CM King + Associates
Board of Managers 2019-2020
Interested in joining the board? Contact us. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer and help the lighting community in the area.
- Education Chair: Kristine Delostrinos, CM King + Associates
- Membership Chair: Jordan Calhoun, One Source Associates
- Program Chair: Amanda Fentress, Federated Lighting
- Candela Awards Chair: Patrice Mulhern, SmithGroup
- Illumination Awards Chair: Frank Feist, MCLA, Inc.
- Nominating Chair: Angelica Santana, CM Kling + Associates Inc.
- Public Relations/Recognition Chair: Ujina Pradhan, CRB
- Webmaster: Frank Feist, MCLA, Inc.
- Sustianing Membership Chair: Jordan Calhoun, One Source Associates
- Emerging Professionals Chair: Rosemary Mullane, D+R International, Ltd.
- Board Member: Marissa Klink, Alliance Lighting
- Board Member: Amanda McLean, One Source Associates
- Board Member: Sarah Richter, CM King + Associates
- Board Member: Ashley Mandich, CM King + Associates
- Sarah Wujcik (2018-2019)
- Laura Ashley A. Alferes (2017-2018)
- Angelica Santana (2016-2017)
- Angelica Santan (2015-2016)
- Angelica Santana (2014-2015)
- Jieer Ren (2013-2014)
- Jieer Ren (2012-2013)
- Wanda Barchard (2011-2012)
- Christine Brazill (2010-2011)
- Frank Florentine (2009-2010)
- Frank Florentine (2008-2009)
- Emlyn Altman (2004-2005)
- Mark C. Burke (2003-2004)
- Mark C. Burke (2002-2003)
- Wanda Barchard (2001-2002)
- Derek Gallardo (2000-2001)
- Lizann Wood (1999-2000)
- Scott Watson (1997-1998)
- Sue Noble (1996-1997)
- Sue Noble (1995-1996)
- Peter Hugh (1994-1995)
- Frank Florentine (1993-1994)
- Lisa Bertolino (1992-1993)
- Andrea Hartranft (1991-1992)
- Andrea Hartranft (1990-1991)
- William Mazurkiewitz (1989-1990)
- William Mazurkiewitz (1988-1989)
- William Mazurkiewitz (1987-1988)
- Frank J. Becker (1986-1987)
- Michael B. Klein (1985-1986)
- Jim Webster (1984-1985)
- Patricia Stanley (1983-1984)
- Kenneth J. Anderer (1982-1983)
- Richard N. Schwab (1981-1982)
- Edwin K. Robinson (1980-1981)
- Peter Barna (1979-1980)
- John B. Arens (1978-1979)
- Robert T. Faass (1977-1978)
- Harry B. Zackrison, Jr. (1976-1977)
- Harry B. Zackrison, Jr. (1975-1976)
- Donald Hoffman (1974-1975)
- Donald L. Stimson (1973-1974)
- Donald L. Stimson (1972-1973)
- Henry A. Smith (1971-1972)
- R. J. Daly (1970-1971)
- Edward Wareham (1969-1970)
- Claude Engle, III (1968-1969)
- M. B. Nee (1967-1968)
- J. Howard Warnner (1966-1967)
- Donald L. Stimson (1965-1966)
- John A. Cannon (1964-1965)
- Thatcher T. Thurston (1963-1964)
- Norman H. Boehm (1962-1963)
- C. E. O’Daniel (1961-1962)
- K. W. Cobb (1960-1961)
- Edmund F. Bailer (1959-1960)
- Alfred J. Rugo (1958-1959)
- S. W. Charlesworth (1957-1958)
- H. V. Oerting (1956-1957)
- Benjamin Goodman (1955-1956)
- Dorothy Nickerson (1954-1955)
- C. R. Engle (1953-1954)
- G. G. Estabrook (1952-1953)
- R. P. Teele (1951-1952)
- George W. Clark (1950-1951)
- J. P. Bachman, Jr. (1949-1950)
- C. S. Woodside (1948-1949)
- Louis E. Barbow (1947-1948)
- Leo H. Cleary (1946-1947)
- Thomas F. Coghlan (1945-1946)